Skip to main content

Focus: Me and Rodney Yee

Today when I was doing yoga to Rodney Yee’s AM yoga tape, I was reminded of how much yoga is like writing. You have to keep focused on the yoga movements or the exercise doesn’t work. When writing you have to keep your focus on the words or it doesn’t make sense. Let your mind wander and you’ve lost the writing thread.
You know how hard it is to pick up a thread from the carpet. Try picking up a story once you've "dropped" it for awhile.

Yoga is an exercise of the body and mind.
Writing is an exercise of the mind and soul.

When I sit down to write if I don’t keep my focus on my characters and my plot I won’t be able to get the two going in the same direction. AND there’s trouble when plot and character do not work together. The story is out of balance. Your job is to create harmony. And when they DO work together it’s a miracle, a melodious symphony.

When sitting in seated meditation it takes willpower to focus on my breath. I use that time to be thankful and grateful. The meditation is energizing.

Yesterday I couldn’t seem to focus on my novel. I wrote a few lines and quit. Then last night when I got into bed the scene I’d been trying to write popped into my head. I ran to grab a pen and pad and sat in bed writing. My husband is used to this bounding out of bed to grab a pen and paper and then me writing in bed. He suggested I put “my tools” on the nightstand. I’ve always done that. But I’ve been out of practice lately. Now I’m back. I thank Rodney for helping me to learn to focus both on my yoga, my breathing, and on my writing.

Comments

  1. Thanks for your comment on our blog! I'm just about to start Yoga, I hear it IS a lot like writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything creative is somewhat spiritual and I look at yoga as being both.
    I've certainly been twisted in all sorts of shapes and forms mentally as I've written - just as I've been twisted in many forms doing yoga.
    Thanks for commenting and have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So funny that Dad told you to put your 'tools' by the bed!! Of course he would say that. I was thinking the exact same thing, but I can just hear him telling you that. I have no idea why we can't stay focused long enough to get things done during the day...but when I lay in bed, the same thing happens. It's quiet and dark in the house, so I am forced to sit still and it's much easier to think that way. I think of so many things that need to be done, and so many things I meant to say to people. All of the things that I struggled to come up with during the day, come crashing at me like waves in the night. Hmm.... maybe your love for writing is in my blood somewhere. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was so nice to see you on our blog, Barb. I love that I came here to see you writing about yoga. That's one of my favorite topics on my personal blog, catbirdscout.blogspot.com. Yoga certainly lends itself to multiple metaphors for life. I like the connection you've made with writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always keep a notepad and pencil in the drawer of my night stand. It has came in handy a number of times. I've found that if I don't write it down when it comes, that it usually disappears from my mind and I can't remember any of it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ah, Spring and all her glory.

I'm enjoying the spring weather that has finally arrived in Ohio bringing blooming pear trees, red buds and tulip trees. How about you? Do you love spring as much as I do? I spent a day on the patio, putting out the table, chairs, umbrella. I painted a white wicker plant table and have decided it's too good for the patio. I plan to use it in the bathroom instead. Just when I thought winter would last forever, spring arrived with temperatures in the 70's. I noted buds covering my rose bush and a robin building a nest in the crevice of my chimney. I wanted to let them stay but they managed to leave so much debris at my front door that I had no choice but to shoo them away. Hopefully they've moved on to one of the many trees and bushes in my community, a more cozy place for raising babies. When I was a kid growing up in Putnam County, WV, I was outside at the first glimpse of the sun coming through my bedroom window. I ran through our yard, down through the orcha

The Dreaded School Pictures

This year when my children brought home their school pictures, I cringed.  These kids can leave home looking cherubic, but the minute they pose for that school photographer they are transposed into unrecognizable beings.  My middle daughter brought home pictures bearing her name and room number that couldn't have been my offspring. Nor a distant relative. I had worked for hours on this child. Her hair was parted in the middle and drawn into a cute little ponytail over each ear. Even though she is at an awkward age, she looked adorable when she went out that door. Her missing front teeth only added to her charm.  The kid in the picture has her mouth open wide displaying ugly dark gaps. Her one visible ponytail is lopsided, her part is uneven, and her bangs look like they were cut with pinking shears. I know this isn't my child because I always give my children a good haircut before they have their pictures taken. The only thing vaguely familiar is the sweater t

MY HIGH SCHOOL EXPERIENCE...

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 High School - Poca High School, Putnam County, WV What year was it? Fall 1960 - Spring 1963 What were your favorite bands, or singers? Sam Cook, Chubby Checker, Conway Twitty (It's only make believe), Johnny Rodriquez. Meatloaf. ELvis. What was your favorite outfit? Straight skirts, blouses, cardigans or jackets, little heels. Other Outfits? Jeans and a white Dr. Ben Casey shirt. What was up with your hair? Everything. I put peroxide on it. Lemon juice, thinking it needed to be lighter. I cut it, styled it, put it in a pony tail or a french twist. Hair was the most important thing in my life in high school. And hair spray, the stiffer the better. Who were your best friends? Patti Jones, Karen Mattox, and Susie Bailey all thru elem school. Then added on Donna Dailey, Sharon "Mouse" Hackett and Janice Wick and many others. Also Bonnie Kerwood who was older than me and lived near me so we hung out listening to records after schoo