Skip to main content

Wearin' of the orange postponed but not cancelled

I got up on Monday determined to wear my orange shoes and write my heart out. And then my eyes took in the basket where I keep the monthly bills and realized woe is me it was May 3 and time to write checks, etc. So, I put on my bill paying cap and sat down to pay bills which required a morning of calling, first, to clear up a bill that had been paid and put on the wrong account and another, my wireless which is my most valued possession. Though Verizon has already taken the money out of my account, somehow they can't "find" it. So the bank has faxed paperwork three times to amend the problem. Alas, they still hadn't "found" the money yesterday. That attributed to the beating of my head on the office wall for a full five minutes before I could control myself. Ok we're well into the afternoon by now. I got all the bills paid, problems ironed out, check book brought up to date, and it was dinner time. It came out of a can and the freezer.

BUT I had Tuesday coming at me fast. A fresh day in which to put on my orange shoes and write. About 9 pm Monday night my husband started having phantom pain in his stump. His left leg is amputated and while not often it still causes horrendous pain. That went on all night, he slept little and I slept some. The meds we had in the house couldn't control or stop the pain. A quick call this morning to the dr. got him a stronger rx. I'm the driver so I had to drive 80 miles round trip to pick up the prescription. Pharmacies do not take such rxs over the phone. On the way home I managed to eat a caramel and pull out a crown. That brought on an upset stomach which required a short nap. Now it's dinner time again. Who's for scrambled eggs and toast?

The medicine is helping tremendously. I've already blocked out Wednesday for writing. I have to write at least eight hours to make up for the lost time on Monday and Tuesday. Was it really lost time? Maybe yes, maybe no. I learned a few things. Don't beat your head on the wall because it hurts you and not the other guy. Don't eat a hard caramel when you have a mouth full of crowns. And if your husband always has your back you should always have his.

So I haven't canceled wearing my orange shoes and writing. I've just postponed it.

Comments

  1. Love this one... I know you feel like you are not meant to write, but you have such a gift that you can't let it go. Just move on, and write when you can. I know that you have a lot of the responsibility at home - as do I here. We have to keep picking ourselves up though and moving on with the next day. Stay motivated. Call me when you need a kick in the pants and I will try to deliver. As I know you will always do the same for me!! Love you! (PS- don't eat hard candy in the car anyways, what if you get choked??? Not safe.) The kids would tell you that one. I have instilled the fear of choking in them early, so they know the rules already! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for all the travails! Hope you did get to writing!
    Hugs, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Barb, life just gets in the way sometimes, doesn't it? I keep to the old saying that everything happens for a reason - uh humm well, maybe, someday, we'll both understand that. Right now, I'm feelin your blog and nodding my head in agreement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barb-So sorry to hear about Raymond. Glad he's doing better. As for your crown--ouch! Hope you were able to get to your dentist--and find a little time to write.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope that your hubby is feeling better with the new meds, and you with a trip to the dentist, never one of my favorite things to do. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ah, Spring and all her glory.

I'm enjoying the spring weather that has finally arrived in Ohio bringing blooming pear trees, red buds and tulip trees. How about you? Do you love spring as much as I do? I spent a day on the patio, putting out the table, chairs, umbrella. I painted a white wicker plant table and have decided it's too good for the patio. I plan to use it in the bathroom instead. Just when I thought winter would last forever, spring arrived with temperatures in the 70's. I noted buds covering my rose bush and a robin building a nest in the crevice of my chimney. I wanted to let them stay but they managed to leave so much debris at my front door that I had no choice but to shoo them away. Hopefully they've moved on to one of the many trees and bushes in my community, a more cozy place for raising babies. When I was a kid growing up in Putnam County, WV, I was outside at the first glimpse of the sun coming through my bedroom window. I ran through our yard, down through the orcha

The Dreaded School Pictures

This year when my children brought home their school pictures, I cringed.  These kids can leave home looking cherubic, but the minute they pose for that school photographer they are transposed into unrecognizable beings.  My middle daughter brought home pictures bearing her name and room number that couldn't have been my offspring. Nor a distant relative. I had worked for hours on this child. Her hair was parted in the middle and drawn into a cute little ponytail over each ear. Even though she is at an awkward age, she looked adorable when she went out that door. Her missing front teeth only added to her charm.  The kid in the picture has her mouth open wide displaying ugly dark gaps. Her one visible ponytail is lopsided, her part is uneven, and her bangs look like they were cut with pinking shears. I know this isn't my child because I always give my children a good haircut before they have their pictures taken. The only thing vaguely familiar is the sweater t

MY HIGH SCHOOL EXPERIENCE...

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 High School - Poca High School, Putnam County, WV What year was it? Fall 1960 - Spring 1963 What were your favorite bands, or singers? Sam Cook, Chubby Checker, Conway Twitty (It's only make believe), Johnny Rodriquez. Meatloaf. ELvis. What was your favorite outfit? Straight skirts, blouses, cardigans or jackets, little heels. Other Outfits? Jeans and a white Dr. Ben Casey shirt. What was up with your hair? Everything. I put peroxide on it. Lemon juice, thinking it needed to be lighter. I cut it, styled it, put it in a pony tail or a french twist. Hair was the most important thing in my life in high school. And hair spray, the stiffer the better. Who were your best friends? Patti Jones, Karen Mattox, and Susie Bailey all thru elem school. Then added on Donna Dailey, Sharon "Mouse" Hackett and Janice Wick and many others. Also Bonnie Kerwood who was older than me and lived near me so we hung out listening to records after schoo