Skip to main content

Backstory on HUNGRY FOR CHOCOLATE

Just a quick update on my progress reading through HUNGRY FOR CHOCOLATE. Since getting the BOLD print debacle corrected, things are going along much more smoothly with the story.

I'm going to skip back to the story behind HUNGRY because of a few questions I received. That manuscript was with an excellent literary agent for four years. It didn't sell after repeated efforts. It may be that the story was before its time. That's why my next marketing efforts will be directed at a publisher in WV.
Its tone is distinctly West Virginian.

HUNGRY is set in WV and is about a surrogacy gone wrong. The main character, Vada Faith Waddell, wants to make some extra money - she can't seem to make enough for a down payment from her job at the beauty shop for a down payment on a new home out in the fancy subdivision of Crystal Springs -SO she decides to answer an ad in the local paper and become a surrogate mother. She figures it can't be all that hard. She already has a set of six year old twins girls. She knows pregnancy is no picnic but in nine months she'll have her big new house and this dear sweet couple will have the precious gift of a baby.
An uninformed and impatient person, she agrees to use her egg to create this child, making it her biological baby. BIG MISTAKE.

Before long she realizes the couple is unscrupulous, and are in trouble with the law for bilking old people out of money through their home remodeling company. Their story is on national news.
But Vada Faith is already pregnant. Then she realizes she cannot give up her baby. Her husband, John Wasper, will do anything for his wife except raise a baby belonging to the alleged criminal Roy Kilgore and his ditzy wife Dottie.

Vada Faith miscarries before her nightmare of giving away this baby is ever realized. She nearly loses her husband and her family along with her unborn child. She's only a few weeks into the pregnancy but the time element makes no difference when you've lost a child.

The setting of the fictional town of Shady Creek, WV is almost a character as the townspeople rise up against surrogacy and make Vada Faith question her reasons for making this decision in the first place. Some of their battles are fought out on local television on the Maddie Magill talk show.

Vada Faith's story is one of complicated human emotions but also of redemption and the rebirth of a marriage.

Comments

  1. I think it sounds awesome with some great conflict!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story! I hope I get to read the whole thing someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great! I hope it finds its way into print soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the good comments. I hope to get it published soon too. If not, I've thought of self pubbing. We'll see what happens when I finish this "last" edit.

    Blessings to you and your work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ODE TO OLD OR I SHALL WEAR PURPLE.....

Ode to Old
When I am old- Really really old- And cannot see -
Red balls of rouge- Riding- High on my cheeks,
Black lines- Arching- Over my eyes, 
Gravy stains covering- Yellow flowers- On my good blue dress.
When I am old- And cannot see - Will you please do-  My grooming for me?

by: Barbara A. Whittington











My Favorite Essay by Gladys Taber

BUTTERNUT WISDOM

From an essay by Gladys Taber
Family Circle  - September 1982

    I sat in the sun the other day while the dogs dug up the lawn and thought about work. I wasn’t working. I was just thinking about it. I have found that when I cannot possibly accomplish everything I am supposed to and feel an unbearable pressure---as all homemakers must---if I just stop, life goes better.
    I get a good book, make some spiced tea and sit down on my own corner of the sofa or in my favorite lawn chair. I let life settle in around me, and that is the only way I can express it. After 20 minutes or half an hour, I go back to the mechanics of living.  AND at days end I am just as far along as if I had not stopped to think.

Another of her thoughts: time for thinking is a gift one can give only to one’s self.


Hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have over the years. When I've had it with my life some days -  I have only to sit down with a glass of sweet tea and think of this essay an…

Romance paperback now available - wrapping up those small holiday gifts....

NEW romance paperback makes a sweet gift for the reader in your life.

The publication of my paperback Dear Ann: Love Letters from Nam, which is a short story, is finally HERE. So happy. Just click the link below to go to Amazon and check it out. The story is told in letters between a young soldier in war-torn Vietnam and his bride back home in West Virginia. Priced at $5.99. I put a lot of hard work and considerable research into this story. It is a part of a much larger work - which may take the rest of my lifetime to finish or I may never. Thus, here's a portion of the story I still love! The letters make a good stand-alone story. I hope you'll enjoy reading it. If at all possible, please leave a review on Amazon. This paperback exists because of the many requests I had to turn this story into a tangible book. Dear Anne is filled with romance, and the emotion and angst that comes with war-time romance. Leaving a loved one behind to go fight in a war in a far away strange land…