Skip to main content

Inspiration for Writing Found on the Road...

Amazingly enough, I found some inspiration along the highway coming to Wisconsin.
Could it be the time I had to think? Or was it the quiet novel we listened to on the way? Or, the long stretches of road? Or the time to talk to R without interruptions or chores.

Whatever it was, I found myself thinking of several stories I'd like to write. Not going to say a thing about them here because I've learned that talking about a story before it's written can give it the only life it needs and when one starts to write the story it folds in on itself. This is true for me, at least.

Raymond and I were reliving some funny events that took place in the fifties in our families and all of a sudden, I could visualize my characters having these experiences. When this happens you need to run for pen and paper or pencil and napkin or whatever.

I jotted down ideas on the back of our map and when I get home I can give them some body.

It's good to take a vacation. Especially driving in the car for eight hours. It's not only stimulating for that "I'm away from home happiness gene" but it also gives the mind rest from daily stresses.

For me it's been a much needed break, going to see our daughter and her family, and the added bonus of finding my creative "self" along the way.

Hope that you will take a day soon to find your creative self. Whether it's away from home, at the library for an afternoon of thinking and browsing, or a long walk in the woods. It all works the same. Get away from the busyness that you wrap yourself in daily and let your mind wander.

Blessings to you and yours and may your creative self always be present. Take the time to hit the road for some R & R.

Comments

  1. Love this essay. We travel a lot, as you know, and it is wonderful to have time to talk, meditate, read, listen to books, and overall relax. (Unless you're in traffic going over the George Washington Bridge, but that's another story!) I'm finding possible publishers for "Pairs . . " and feeling recharged myself. Have a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My creative self seems to wake me in the middle of the night...if I don't make good notes, it floats away with the morning light.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learn something new daily about this writing life I've chosen. Even at this age.
    It's good to know others are traveling the same path.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad your muse found you on the road. I think it was Julia Cameron who said she loves to get in her car and drive, that the spaciousness of that is where she's most inspired. There's nothing like movement and a change of scenery for blowing away cobwebs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it when the ideas come to me. I'm sure your ideas will make a great story. I, too, have to write them down or I will forget. We haven't taken a vacation this year and we so need one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Barb.. Thank you for coming by my blog and leaving such warm compliments.
    I will have to come back and see what topics your writing about on my next I visit. I just love reading and getting inspiration for others. Isn't life grand?
    Until next time Happy Trails :)

    Sorry I just had to delete my first post... I saw some blaring mistakes in there!! Scary to make so many mistakes especially when your a writer!! :O)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ah, Spring and all her glory.

I'm enjoying the spring weather that has finally arrived in Ohio bringing blooming pear trees, red buds and tulip trees. How about you? Do you love spring as much as I do? I spent a day on the patio, putting out the table, chairs, umbrella. I painted a white wicker plant table and have decided it's too good for the patio. I plan to use it in the bathroom instead. Just when I thought winter would last forever, spring arrived with temperatures in the 70's. I noted buds covering my rose bush and a robin building a nest in the crevice of my chimney. I wanted to let them stay but they managed to leave so much debris at my front door that I had no choice but to shoo them away. Hopefully they've moved on to one of the many trees and bushes in my community, a more cozy place for raising babies. When I was a kid growing up in Putnam County, WV, I was outside at the first glimpse of the sun coming through my bedroom window. I ran through our yard, down through the orcha

The Dreaded School Pictures

This year when my children brought home their school pictures, I cringed.  These kids can leave home looking cherubic, but the minute they pose for that school photographer they are transposed into unrecognizable beings.  My middle daughter brought home pictures bearing her name and room number that couldn't have been my offspring. Nor a distant relative. I had worked for hours on this child. Her hair was parted in the middle and drawn into a cute little ponytail over each ear. Even though she is at an awkward age, she looked adorable when she went out that door. Her missing front teeth only added to her charm.  The kid in the picture has her mouth open wide displaying ugly dark gaps. Her one visible ponytail is lopsided, her part is uneven, and her bangs look like they were cut with pinking shears. I know this isn't my child because I always give my children a good haircut before they have their pictures taken. The only thing vaguely familiar is the sweater t

MY HIGH SCHOOL EXPERIENCE...

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 High School - Poca High School, Putnam County, WV What year was it? Fall 1960 - Spring 1963 What were your favorite bands, or singers? Sam Cook, Chubby Checker, Conway Twitty (It's only make believe), Johnny Rodriquez. Meatloaf. ELvis. What was your favorite outfit? Straight skirts, blouses, cardigans or jackets, little heels. Other Outfits? Jeans and a white Dr. Ben Casey shirt. What was up with your hair? Everything. I put peroxide on it. Lemon juice, thinking it needed to be lighter. I cut it, styled it, put it in a pony tail or a french twist. Hair was the most important thing in my life in high school. And hair spray, the stiffer the better. Who were your best friends? Patti Jones, Karen Mattox, and Susie Bailey all thru elem school. Then added on Donna Dailey, Sharon "Mouse" Hackett and Janice Wick and many others. Also Bonnie Kerwood who was older than me and lived near me so we hung out listening to records after schoo