Skip to main content

HUNKER DOWN AND WRITE...IT'S WINTER!

It's snowing here in Ohio which means it's time to hunker down and write. At least that's what it means for me. There's something about being inside a cozy warm house when the temperature outside is falling along with the beautiful snowflakes. My thoughts turn to the characters inside my head who are now demanding center stage.

What is it about a cold winter day that brings out the creativity in some of us?

I'm not sure --- but I believe it's born in us. A longing for something more. A longing that can only be sated by the sweetness of words on cold winter days.

It reminds me of fall when my thoughts turn automatically to buying notebooks and pens for the beginning of school --- though my school days are long over.

Thus, my winter writing odyssey begins.

This signals a new beginning for me. A time to renew friendships with the characters I abandoned back in the spring when the earth came to life with new buds and the Robins sang to me from their perch in the pine tree at the edge of the woods.

In cold weather, I'm ready to be clothed in the warmth of words and absorbed by new stories and characters I've never before met.

There is no other season quite like this one for writing.

I'm off here now to pick up where I left off.

And, please don't think I don't write in other seasons. I do. But I'm not as dedicated to it as I am in the winter. I seem to get more done without the pull of the sun to bring me outdoors.

NOW, here's to a profitable winter for all of us filled with words, characters, and stories enough to fill our hearts and minds and the dreary days ahead.

Today, I promise to do one act of kindness. How about you?

Blessings as we slid into our sleigh filled with words.

Comments

  1. If your other words are as beautiful, you will have no problems creating a best seller.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Usually I get more creative in winter,too, whether it be sewing, crafting or writing. My mind seems to move along in cycles. Each season brings something different to do. We got snow today,too, but only a dusting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love winter writing. I KNOW I can't go outside so I create the outside in my words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think writing in winter is a way to bring light into the darkness. I hope your time is productive and joyful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Winter is my knitting time. But right now, I'm revved to finish a book on storyfinding. The thing is already written, but it needs tugged together in the same way I tug together remnants of cloth to make a scarf on my raggle taggle recycle loom.

    The evenings are long enough now to allow time to get this together. If I'll stop blogging long enough. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully said as usual. Of course, here in Florida, the sun still shines and the outdoors beckons. For me, though, the joy of winter is writing on our porch where it's finally cool enough to sit and enjoy the breeze.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all the comments about writing in winter/or in Fl.
    Something about being warm and cozy makes me want to be creative.
    Hope everyone is as happy and content as I right now.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ah, Spring and all her glory.

I'm enjoying the spring weather that has finally arrived in Ohio bringing blooming pear trees, red buds and tulip trees. How about you? Do you love spring as much as I do? I spent a day on the patio, putting out the table, chairs, umbrella. I painted a white wicker plant table and have decided it's too good for the patio. I plan to use it in the bathroom instead. Just when I thought winter would last forever, spring arrived with temperatures in the 70's. I noted buds covering my rose bush and a robin building a nest in the crevice of my chimney. I wanted to let them stay but they managed to leave so much debris at my front door that I had no choice but to shoo them away. Hopefully they've moved on to one of the many trees and bushes in my community, a more cozy place for raising babies. When I was a kid growing up in Putnam County, WV, I was outside at the first glimpse of the sun coming through my bedroom window. I ran through our yard, down through the orcha

The Dreaded School Pictures

This year when my children brought home their school pictures, I cringed.  These kids can leave home looking cherubic, but the minute they pose for that school photographer they are transposed into unrecognizable beings.  My middle daughter brought home pictures bearing her name and room number that couldn't have been my offspring. Nor a distant relative. I had worked for hours on this child. Her hair was parted in the middle and drawn into a cute little ponytail over each ear. Even though she is at an awkward age, she looked adorable when she went out that door. Her missing front teeth only added to her charm.  The kid in the picture has her mouth open wide displaying ugly dark gaps. Her one visible ponytail is lopsided, her part is uneven, and her bangs look like they were cut with pinking shears. I know this isn't my child because I always give my children a good haircut before they have their pictures taken. The only thing vaguely familiar is the sweater t

MY HIGH SCHOOL EXPERIENCE...

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 High School - Poca High School, Putnam County, WV What year was it? Fall 1960 - Spring 1963 What were your favorite bands, or singers? Sam Cook, Chubby Checker, Conway Twitty (It's only make believe), Johnny Rodriquez. Meatloaf. ELvis. What was your favorite outfit? Straight skirts, blouses, cardigans or jackets, little heels. Other Outfits? Jeans and a white Dr. Ben Casey shirt. What was up with your hair? Everything. I put peroxide on it. Lemon juice, thinking it needed to be lighter. I cut it, styled it, put it in a pony tail or a french twist. Hair was the most important thing in my life in high school. And hair spray, the stiffer the better. Who were your best friends? Patti Jones, Karen Mattox, and Susie Bailey all thru elem school. Then added on Donna Dailey, Sharon "Mouse" Hackett and Janice Wick and many others. Also Bonnie Kerwood who was older than me and lived near me so we hung out listening to records after schoo