Skip to main content

Information about writing stories...


Ezra and Other Stories

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0985259116/ref=rdr_ext_tmb
Copy and paste to go to Ezra on Amazon


I ran across this questionnaire from a few years ago. Probably when I was preparing Ezra and Other Stories for publication. The questions made me think and figure out exactly why I wanted to write the stories in the collection. Hope this will help you if you're writing a story of if you've read EZRA and want to know my process.

What is your book's tone, and how do you want readers to perceive your text?

Each story in this collection houses characters that are flawed humans dealing with both serious and humorous situations. My characters are humble people most living in West Virginia. They’re ordinary people going about their lives the best they can and in most cases succeeding in spite of the odds against them.

Provide a summary of the stories in this book of eleven short stories.
Each story is named after the main character.

Mabel and the Garage Sale is about Mabel finding hope after her home is sold when I-64 comes through Charleston, West Virginia.

Delphine and Rainelle finds Delphine trying to help her best friend, Rainelle, whose husband is a cheater.

In Hoot and Marla, Marla realizes the trip to Niagara Falls isn’t about getting engaged but about Hoot’s ego and his Elvis look-alike persona.

Joy Ruth and Minnie Hendrix find more than a burial plan when they visit the local funeral home.

Micro Wave finds acceptance only from his Pug dog after being at Kent State during the riots and shootings.

Wally and Bun are wed just as their old friend, Murphy Mohr, rekindles an old romance.

Eve and Marcus Welby leads Eve to the perfect romance with a man who is also a cat lover.

Twins, Darlene and Charlene, are as different as day and night. One is a book worm, the other “sees” things.

Vinnie asks the question: how long will money from Big Daddy’s chili fund last his two adult children who do not see eye to eye.

Macon for Georgia provides Macon with the best possible partner after an abusive relationship.

Ezra finds love and his soul mate at the end of his life.

Describe your book's theme(s). These stories give the message of hope. These characters are survivors in spite of coming from less than perfect circumstances.

What is your book's genre? Includes a mix of genres.
Romance. Humor. Appalachian.

Describe your target audience by factors such as age group, interests, education, gender, etc.
Stories appeal to adult male and females. Anyone who loves short stories, stories about hope and survival. The under dog succeeds.

What inspired you to write the book?

The characters themselves came to live in my head as I was writing slice of life pieces for newspapers and essays for college. Finally I gave them life by getting them down on paper. Most of the stories came just the way they now read. I am inspired by the stories of Raymond Carver, Lee Smith, Mark Twain, E.B. White, and others.

What distinguishes your book from others?

The humble characters and stories themselves. They are bits and pieces of people I’ve known. They come from deep inside me, inspired by the West Virginia Mountains and its people - sharing how these characters live, listening to what is important to them, believing in them as viable, important, good people.


Describe any specific design ideas for the cover of your book.

Ezra’s cover was made from a photo I bought online from one of the many online companies. I rejected hundreds before finding the right one. I knew it when I first saw it.

Comments welcome.

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing pointers. The book sounds very interesting. It sounds like a book that I would like to take along with me when I travel. Short stories are the best kind. I should look for Ezra in the book store near me.

    I hope that all is well with you. I have not read blog posts for almost a month now. Work is crazy and the commute takes away a lot of my time too. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

APOLOGIES....

For those of you who regularly follow my blog, I wanted you to know that health issues and family problems have kept me from my computer lately. Of course my mind has been busy coming up with great ideas to blog about but by the time I sit down late at night to write those lovely ideas have flown out of my head and gone back to wherever good ideas come from in the first place. I miss posting. I miss thinking. I miss resting. I miss just standing and staring, as cows in the fields are known to do. I miss all of you too. Reading about your lives and reading your comments on mine. However, I'm the eternal optimist and I see a teeny speck of light at the end of the tunnel. In two weeks life here should be back to normal, whatever that is. Have any of you figured out what normal is, exactly. I get up everyday and try to live the best life I know how. Is that normal? Or is normal different for each of us. What about a new normal? Are we doomed to live our "normal life" fo

MY HIGH SCHOOL EXPERIENCE...

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 High School - Poca High School, Putnam County, WV What year was it? Fall 1960 - Spring 1963 What were your favorite bands, or singers? Sam Cook, Chubby Checker, Conway Twitty (It's only make believe), Johnny Rodriquez. Meatloaf. ELvis. What was your favorite outfit? Straight skirts, blouses, cardigans or jackets, little heels. Other Outfits? Jeans and a white Dr. Ben Casey shirt. What was up with your hair? Everything. I put peroxide on it. Lemon juice, thinking it needed to be lighter. I cut it, styled it, put it in a pony tail or a french twist. Hair was the most important thing in my life in high school. And hair spray, the stiffer the better. Who were your best friends? Patti Jones, Karen Mattox, and Susie Bailey all thru elem school. Then added on Donna Dailey, Sharon "Mouse" Hackett and Janice Wick and many others. Also Bonnie Kerwood who was older than me and lived near me so we hung out listening to records after schoo

Shingles: not the roofing kind...

Just when I thought things could not get any worse at our house my husband R came down with shingles. On the day I had to be at the hospital in Columbus with one adult daughter in the morning and then go to Cincinnati to pick up her husband after his stomach surgery the day before, R gets up with a rash that had turned to blisters. We made a quick dash 40 miles away to our family Dr. for a check up and yes my diagnosis was correct. Shingles! So armed with two medications we headed to the medical center to see our daughter, then to Cincinnati to pick up her husband and then home to collapse and hope that that's the end of our downward spiral. I'm worn to a frazzle and so is R. No time for writing or fretting about writing. I do feel good knowing that I have some contest entries out (short stories and one novel) and will be working on my novel at least two days this coming week. I have my writers meeting on Monday at Great Expectations Cafe and Book Store and look for