Skip to main content

How to be an American Housewife...

Just finished reading Margaret Dilloway's How to Be an American Housewife. Wow. What a read. Couldn't put it down. About a Japanese bride and her military husband. Shoko tries hard, harder than anyone I ever knew, to be the perfect wife and mother in her new country. More often than not she believes she has failed. You'll learn through her trials and tribulations that this is not so. She succeeds very well as a woman who loves her husband and children more than life itself. Even when her spirit is tested as she faces death.

Great characters and beautiful writing, the first novel by Margaret Dilloway.

I'm not giving away any more of the story.

It touched my heart and soul and these characters are still ambling around in my mind several days after I put the book down.

Here's to a new year of great books, great writing, and most of all good health to us all.

Blessings, Barb

Comments

  1. looks like I just added a book to my must reads:) Thanks Barb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How ironic! I am in the middle of reading a similar book but from the prospective of a Vietnamese immigrant child, Stealing Buddha's Dinner by Bich Minh Nguyen. Yes, the characters too do amble in the mind.

    At first I was not too enthusiastic... Chapters called Pringles and Toll House Cookies.

    But then through the eyes of a child like a housewife America is such a complex of cultures...how to cut meat with a fork and knife when all you know is chopsticks.

    Such a pleasure to find a kindred link through books.

    May the New Year bring you many peaceful moments of memories and lives of other cultures and thus in our own everyday lives we may find the increase in peaceful moments in whole world increase.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What better way to start the new year than with a great book recommendation. Thank you, and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a good book! I hope you have a blessed New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds good. I'll have to get it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MY HIGH SCHOOL EXPERIENCE...

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 High School - Poca High School, Putnam County, WV What year was it? Fall 1960 - Spring 1963 What were your favorite bands, or singers? Sam Cook, Chubby Checker, Conway Twitty (It's only make believe), Johnny Rodriquez. Meatloaf. ELvis. What was your favorite outfit? Straight skirts, blouses, cardigans or jackets, little heels. Other Outfits? Jeans and a white Dr. Ben Casey shirt. What was up with your hair? Everything. I put peroxide on it. Lemon juice, thinking it needed to be lighter. I cut it, styled it, put it in a pony tail or a french twist. Hair was the most important thing in my life in high school. And hair spray, the stiffer the better. Who were your best friends? Patti Jones, Karen Mattox, and Susie Bailey all thru elem school. Then added on Donna Dailey, Sharon "Mouse" Hackett and Janice Wick and many others. Also Bonnie Kerwood who was older than me and lived near me so we hung out listening to records after schoo...

Dear Critique Partner/Build it first/

Dear Critique Partner: In regards to recent criticism of your work, remember this: when we give a piece of our story to someone to read - we expect them to see the whole. It's like building a house and giving someone a single piece of lumber. “Here, see the house I'm building.” SOME CAN SEE IT AND SOME CAN’T. This step is as necessary to me as breathing. I need to give you single boards as I create them. AND I expect you to be a visionary and say, “Why yes. I see.” (EVEN if you don't!) I need you to see how special the piece of lumber is that I'm using and to see that eventually I'll add more pieces to make the whole. Choose people to read your work who like the kind of stories you write. Then, they'll appreciate the pieces. There are as many kinds of stories as there are houses to live in. If you give a brick ranch to someone who only appreciates a high rise he'll have a hard time fitting himself into what you are offering. Don’t rebuild your stor...

WHERE IS THE REAL MR. VERIZON???

I have spent much time since the beginning of July trying to get through the process of getting a rebate from Verizon, you know, the company that sells communication supplies and services. Mostly they sell supplies for which they offer very little service. And the service is sketchy at best. I guess I sound miffed. Ummm, yep, I am. First, I called Verizon about my slow wifi service. We live in the country and don't get great reception. I've limped along with the box (modem)  I had for a couple of years. When I called the first time, the tech told me I needed a new box and an upgrade and to agree to a new two year contract. Okay. Yep I was in. For just $30 she would ship a new box that would provide me with faster service. I got the upgraded box in two days and was singing the praises of Mr. Verizon. Yay. I was going to be up and going and could google everything and anything I wanted. I could shop, ebay, go to Snopes to my heart's content, facebook, twitter, pinterest...