Skip to main content

Sunday is Father's Day and my love for music

I heard a song years ago by Dottie Rambo titled Sunday is Father's Day. She both wrote it and sang it with her family of singers. Since then I've had the words to that song embedded into my brain. I used to drive to Willo Hill Baptist Church in Willoughby, Ohio in an old Corvair, (R bought it for $50 from a neighbor and bought $1000 worth of tools to work on it- it's a man thing) that smoked like a double chimney, with the kids in the backseat fighting, and I'd sing that song to the top of my lungs - sure that if the Lord came that minute I'd be taken up in the clouds with him. I'm sure I told the kids if they didn't stop hitting each other they would not be going with me. I am a singing fool and can't carry a tune. I keep music going all day long, from soft piano cds, to the sound of the ocean lapping the shore, to Indian flutes, and Alan Jackson singing Precious Memories. Oh, and Kenny G. I love him too. And Aaron Neville. AND my ROD STEWART singing DOWNTOWN TRAIN. Well, you get my drift. I just love music and I love to sing. Why couldn't God have given me the gift of song. Instead he gave me the gift of gab- which is pretty useless if you really examine it. Gab. Who needs a gabber? Though a gabber does have an endless supply of words and that comes in handy when I write.
Today after church, yes, we made it finally, after two months of being stuck inside on Sundays, today, no snow or icy roads and the sun was shining. R can't walk on snow or ice and it's even difficult on wet pavement.
Well after church, I wrote a news release for our Spring Writing Event at the Bowen House in Logan. I'll be speaking about writing essays. Should be interesting. As I said, I know some gab. We'll have other "real" writers there as well. Plus my writing buddy Sherry Hartzler (www.sherryhartzler.blogspot.) I made her bread pretzels over the week end and they were delicious. Nothing like writing and cooking. Mixing words and stirring food.
Now I have to get the agenda ready for our writers meeting tomorrow. WRITERS HELPING WRITERS. Sherry and I formed it and it's really grown now with about ten writers - writing different genres. We meet in a coffee house - caffeine helps.
After the agenda I have to work on a flyer to post at area libraries about our event.
Actually I can see from what I've written it's been a pretty fruitful day.
R is making his way to the kitchen in his wheelchair, yes, he's part time in a wheelchair, and so it must be getting dinner time. Thank you, Lord, for leftover spaghetti and bread pretzels.
Please know how much I appreciate all who read this and your lovely comments.
I try to keep up with your blogs and lives as well. Keep writing. Or doing whatever it is you're doing in your part of the world. Your Sister Friend.

Comments

  1. I love to sing, too, but not very good at it. But that doesn't stop me. I guess it's like writing, the more I practice maybe the better I'll get. Sounds like you have a very good writing group. I'm trying to catch up going to blogs, we've been verrry busy the last three days and I'm wore out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's late and I have grandgirls to deal with in the morning. Otherwise, I'd read some of this tonight! Thanks for following my writer's blog. I had a hard time finding yours. It is not linked on the profile that showed up. Found a link on your twitter page.

    Glad you're thawed out enough to get back to church. I missed this morning because of a sick granddaughter. I know what it's like to be snowed in. We live in the country.

    I'll be back to visit later this week.

    Lily

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this post...Mainly because I can tell that you are happy just by reading it. I'm glad that you and Dad got to church yesterday. We spent the day driving and driving, so not much was accomplished. Love hearing about heading to Church with the kids fighting in the back seat. Now see- why would I want to willingly subject myself to that every Sunday? I know, I know. For the Lord, which is exactly what I should be doing every Sunday.... love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had me going with this title. I agree with Jill, you sound like a happy person.

    Thanks for visiting my blog as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this blog post, Barb! Can see you in the car singing to your heart's content, kids arguing in the backseat. I remember my kids arguing on the way to church, constantly snipping and sniping at each other. Loving your new book

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MY HIGH SCHOOL EXPERIENCE...

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 High School - Poca High School, Putnam County, WV What year was it? Fall 1960 - Spring 1963 What were your favorite bands, or singers? Sam Cook, Chubby Checker, Conway Twitty (It's only make believe), Johnny Rodriquez. Meatloaf. ELvis. What was your favorite outfit? Straight skirts, blouses, cardigans or jackets, little heels. Other Outfits? Jeans and a white Dr. Ben Casey shirt. What was up with your hair? Everything. I put peroxide on it. Lemon juice, thinking it needed to be lighter. I cut it, styled it, put it in a pony tail or a french twist. Hair was the most important thing in my life in high school. And hair spray, the stiffer the better. Who were your best friends? Patti Jones, Karen Mattox, and Susie Bailey all thru elem school. Then added on Donna Dailey, Sharon "Mouse" Hackett and Janice Wick and many others. Also Bonnie Kerwood who was older than me and lived near me so we hung out listening to records after schoo...

Dear Critique Partner/Build it first/

Dear Critique Partner: In regards to recent criticism of your work, remember this: when we give a piece of our story to someone to read - we expect them to see the whole. It's like building a house and giving someone a single piece of lumber. “Here, see the house I'm building.” SOME CAN SEE IT AND SOME CAN’T. This step is as necessary to me as breathing. I need to give you single boards as I create them. AND I expect you to be a visionary and say, “Why yes. I see.” (EVEN if you don't!) I need you to see how special the piece of lumber is that I'm using and to see that eventually I'll add more pieces to make the whole. Choose people to read your work who like the kind of stories you write. Then, they'll appreciate the pieces. There are as many kinds of stories as there are houses to live in. If you give a brick ranch to someone who only appreciates a high rise he'll have a hard time fitting himself into what you are offering. Don’t rebuild your stor...

WHERE IS THE REAL MR. VERIZON???

I have spent much time since the beginning of July trying to get through the process of getting a rebate from Verizon, you know, the company that sells communication supplies and services. Mostly they sell supplies for which they offer very little service. And the service is sketchy at best. I guess I sound miffed. Ummm, yep, I am. First, I called Verizon about my slow wifi service. We live in the country and don't get great reception. I've limped along with the box (modem)  I had for a couple of years. When I called the first time, the tech told me I needed a new box and an upgrade and to agree to a new two year contract. Okay. Yep I was in. For just $30 she would ship a new box that would provide me with faster service. I got the upgraded box in two days and was singing the praises of Mr. Verizon. Yay. I was going to be up and going and could google everything and anything I wanted. I could shop, ebay, go to Snopes to my heart's content, facebook, twitter, pinterest...